A Legacy of Excellence: Celebrating 131 Years of St. Anthony’s High School and College
For a remarkable span of 131 years, St. Anthony’s High School and College, situated at 3 Cecil Chaudhry Road in Lahore, have stood as bastions of academic brilliance and ethical values. This triumphant saga, etched with a tireless pursuit of excellence, embodies the essence of devotion and persistence. With deep gratitude, we attribute our success to divine guidance, having propelled St. Anthony’s to its rightful place among the foremost educational institutions in our nation.
Our journey commenced on March 1, 1892, as Marist Fathers established St. Anthony’s Catholic Day School. The school was inaugurated by His Grace Bishop Van Dean Botch and Mr. M. Dean became the first Head Master. Initially on Empress Road, the institution’s student count grew from ten to thirty-five by November that year, signaling the initial steps towards excellence.
In 1897, a notable milestone was reached with the institution’s first prize distribution ceremony, attended by Lahore’s intellectual elite. By 1900, St. Anthony’s transitioned to Cecil Chaudhry Road with 69 students, achieving high school status. In 1911, governance shifted to the Brothers of St. Patrick from Ireland who earned great respect and admiration. In 1912, the appointment of the first female teacher marked another stride.
By 1913, St. Anthony’s achieved prominence, securing Punjab’s matriculation first position. The years 1920 and 1921 marked scholarship and board exam achievements, affirming the institution’s commitment to nurturing talent.
In 1933, 9th and 10th grade syllabi included physics and chemistry to accommodate growing enrollment. Physical expansion followed in 1934, and 1938 marked a jubilant silver jubilee, honoring the Capuchin Fathers’ contributions.
Amidst the upheaval of World War II (1939-45), St. Anthony’s courageously navigated challenges. Male educators answered duty’s call; administrative staff and the Principal upheld legacy, securing the top six positions in 1938 and clinching 15 trophies in 1940.
In 1947, during independence’s tumult, St. Anthony’s commitment to education remained steadfast. Resuming operations with 125 students, momentum was regained by early 1948.
Distinguished alumni form the heart of St. Anthony’s narrative, personifying a global legacy beyond academics, fostering values of responsible citizenship.
In essence, St. Anthony’s journey epitomizes resilience, dedication, and an enduring pursuit of academic excellence and holistic growth. Past echoes fuel present achievements, propelling a future reflecting storied brilliance.